Unit Secretary-Maternity-Per Diem-Varied Shifts -Weekends As Needed
I. Position Function:
Under the supervision of the Patient Care Director, the unit secretary will perform a variety of secretarial duties in support of the administrative and clinical functions on the unit to which he/she is assigned.
II. Job Relationships:
Supervised and/or reportable to the following, by job category:
- Patient Care Director
- His/her designee
Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with physicians, nurses and other health care professionals.
To coordinate the shift activities of the unit as outlined below.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Serves as unit receptionist, greeting visitors and, when necessary, directing personnel to
- Checks unit and individual e-mail at least once a shift.
- Serves as a resource/preceptor to new unit secretaries and RNs regarding computer training needs/skills.
- Answers telephones using proper etiquette and relays messages/information as necessary.
- Pages Codes as directed using correct emergency number.
- Pages health care providers as directed.
- Serves as a communications liaison between unit and other departments.
- Serves as a communication liaison among patients, family members, doctors and nurses.
- Participates in staff meetings/conferences as appropriate. Attends monthly unit
- Maintains a professional demeanor to patients, professional staff, co-workers, and maintains
positive customer relations skills.
- Distributes mail.
- Arranges patient transport using the VIP system.
- Arranges for the transportation of specimens to the lab using the VIP system and Pneumatic
- Brings all sign-in sheets to staffing office daily.
- Assembles new admit packets and charts with forms printed to Blue Chip printer on admission.
- Obtains old medical records from the Medical Record Department as needed.
- Labels patients room according to unit protocol.
- Calls admitting with all new admits, transfers and room changes to the unit in a timely manner.
- Obtains HO assignments for all new admissions, transfers, and post them.
- Using the Blue Chip System, Forms are printed as needed: Patient ID bracelets,
Patient labels, Face sheet, Physician orders, Multi-disciplinary Notes, Emergency
Department forms, Med sheets, Consult sheets, Consent forms and Kardex.
- Takes information on new admissions and transfers from the Admitting department and communicates this information to charge nurse.
- Makes sure patient teaching tools are at the bedside.
- Calls transport using the VIP system to send patient valuables (in a valuable envelope)
to the cashier's office.