Vice President of Pharmacy
Position Purpose: The Vice President of Pharmacy delivers regulatory compliant Pharmacy Services while providing oversight and management of prescription benefits for all Steward Health Choice health plans and pharmacy benefit plans. The Vice President will set policy and direction for national and local pharmacy services including but not limited to medication coverage determination services, pharmacy benefit and formulary administration for government and commercial plans, and innovative medication use programs that engage beneficiaries and providers and drive toward quality health outcomes.
- Works collaboratively with senior level Clinical Operations, Quality and Provider Relations teams on developing drug coverage strategies and tools, reviewing and managing drug utilization trends, practices and behaviors, and
- Creates clinically appropriate and fiscally responsible pharmacy programs that deliver value to regulators, purchasers and consumers
- Works with Steward health plan senior leadership teams to identify and develop strategies for innovative and cost-effective pharmacy services, Collaborate with health plan clinical staff and providers on improving performance measures, and lead pharmacy quality driven performance improvement programs consistent with regulatory and accreditation requirements
- Participates in the Steward Health Choice Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and manages contracts and services provided by designated Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) organizations, and medication therapy management and medication use engagement vendors while providing oversight of all delegated service areas of the pharmacy benefit, medication coverage services and medication use programs.
- Supervises employees including establishing performance goals, conducting performance appraisals, monitoring work and performing discipline as needed.
- Leads the charge in focus and implementation of the organization's culture and strategic plan in a way that aligns to the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Pharmacy degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy required; PharmD preferred
- Arizona Pharmacy license in good standing (Arizona or other Steward Health Choice serviced states) and, if necessary, will acquire Arizona license within sixty (60) days of employment at Steward Health Choice)
Years of Experience:
- A minimum of Five (5) years of practice experience with a health plan pharmacy services, managed care pharmacy environment, and / or retail or hospital pharmacy service
- A minimum of five (5) years of practice experience with pharmacy services and pharmacy benefit management (PBM) contracting for delegated functions and services
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience managing pharmacy teams or staff
- A minimum of one (1) year of practice experience applying clinical drug use criteria
- Proficient in the principles and practices of managed care pharmacy
- Broad based knowledge in a variety of pharmacy disciplines
- Knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid regulations and guidelines regarding pharmacy benefits, coverage determinations, network management, and performance metrics
- Knowledge of contract negotiations and drivers of drug spending/fundin
- Knowledge of pharmacy benefit marketplace
- Knowledge of health plan pharmacy operations and PBM operations, functionality, and capabilities